New Plot holder Information
Birmingham has the largest provision of allotments of any Local Authority in the UK with 115 sites and nearly 7,000 plots. Most allotment sites are managed by Allotment Associations on behalf of the City Council. The Association will be happy show you around their sites and sign you up for any available plots.
There is a range of plot sizes to suit most needs from a Mini plot (up to 84 sq m), a Small plot (between 85 to 167 sq m), a Standard plot (168 to 334 sq m) and a Large plot (335 to 502 sq m).
Allotment gardening is very popular, with people of all ages, from the retiree to the young, tending their plots and getting the very real benefits of an active life style combined with a supply of fresh, tasty vegetables and fruit.
If you want to know where your nearest allotment site is just click here for a list of city sites according to areas.
If you know what site/s you are interested in and want to register an interest just email us at firstname.lastname@example.org stating name of the site/s and your phone and email contacts. We will forward your request on to the Site Secretaries.
Alternatively you could try visiting your local site on a Sunday and ask to speak to one of the Committee, who will be more than happy to show you around.
Annual costs of renting a plot.
|Plot Category||Full||Over 65 Rate|
|Mini Plot (Cat A*)||£51.25||£27.13|
|Small (Cat A)||£63.31||£33.16|
|Large (Cats D/E)||£113.56||£48.29|
• Rent is payable on commencement of the tenancy and, thereafter, annually on 1 October.
• Tenants over 65 receive an approx 50% reduction in rent. Tenants already receiving the rate before 1 October 2014 who are under 65 will still receive the rate.
• A late payment penalty of £10 will apply if settlement of rent is not made to the Allotments Team by 9 November.
• Some sites offer tool lockers, chalets or greenhouses for hire at a nominal charge of £1.00 per annum. Responsibility for the repair and maintenance rests with the individual plot holders.
• You are likely to be charged a refundable deposit for your gate key, and membership of your Allotment Association also attracts a variable annual subscription.